Monday, August 24, 2009

"Uh, Mike...what is that?!

This weekend was spent doing yard work. It is really the first time since we moved in that we have been able to spend a whole weekend just working on the outside of the house. On Saturday, we took down a big crab apple tree that was blocking the entire front half of the house. There is finally sunlight in my living room and it makes the entire house seem brighter!
We also took down about a dozen smaller trees and trimmed up about a half dozen others. We trimmed all the hedges and bushes, planted some hostas, mowed the lawn, etc. It really is starting to look better and I can't wait til next Spring when we can really concentrate on the landscape.
Anyway, in the course of working in the back yard yesterday, I was standing by the shed and I noticed something in the woods, right at the grass line. As I was staring at it, I realized that it looked like a bobcat. Now, I have never seen a bobcat in real life but what I was looking at was no house kitty but it wasn't a cougar or coyote either. Mike was close by and once I got him to focus on the cat, we both couldn't believe our eyes! A BOBCAT!? In Michigan? In our suburban neighborhood? I tried to run inside to grab the camera but by the time I returned, the animal had walked off deeper into the woods and I was not about to go looking for it...
It was crazy...I know that we have deer, rabbits, squirrels, and other woodland creatures in our yard and neighborhood but a bobcat is just insane. I really hope that I can catch a glimpse of it again...and then again, maybe not!

No comments: