Monday, March 29, 2010

The Paper Punch

I have come to realize that paper is an enemy, an adversary, an opposing army on the battlefield that is my house. There is paper coming out of every nook and cranny, piled in corners, hidden in drawers, stuffed in baskets and filling the trash cans. Where does all this paper come from?

I'm not even remotely interested in having a discussion on the environmental impact of paper or trees or processing plants, etc. I'm only concerned at this point with the impact it's having on me. A little self-centered? Sure. I feel like I'm being personally attacked from all angles by a rainbow of 100 different sized pieces of colored trees that will not leave me alone!

Bills, junk mail, artwork, coloring pages, newspapers, school papers, taxes, cards, receipts, instructions, coupons, magazines, catalog's, warranties, grocery lists, pay stubs, photographs, notebooks, and on and on and on....

I am admittedly not the best organizer in the world and more than anything else, it is PAPER that drives me towards the brink of insanity. Where do I go with it all? How long do I keep it? What's really important? Will it make someone cry if I throw it away? Will I ever need that again? All these questions float through my mind as I sort and stack and file and trash each ugly little piece. I am fighting the battle each and every day but I am nowhere near winning the war, and I think it shows.

So next time you're over at my place, and it seems pretty "paper" free, beware the kitchen drawers, backroom cupboards and office floor. You might just accidentally find yourself in a forest of long dead trees or have a cascade of paper leaves assault you from above. Don't say I didn't warn you....

No comments: