Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When in doubt, Tile it!

Kitchen 1 year ago...

Kitchen today!

Our mess last year...

No mess now!

Close view of the tile work...

Putting up a tile backsplash in the kitchen was on the original list of things to be accomplished when we first bought this house. Unfortunetly, it's taken us over a year to complete. I vacillated between subway tile, natural stone, glass, ceramic, porcelain...you name it. I would see something I liked and think, "Yes, that's what I want!" only to change my mind moments later. 

Mike and I finally ended up at The Tile Shop where we had more tile to chose from than jelly beans at Easter! That place was insane, but we honed in on the Travertine tile right away, and this mosaic style really caught our eye. I had brought our paint and cabinet samples with us, and letting Christian (who was helping us in the store) see the color of our walls, he went in search of the perfect glass tile to accent the room. 

I had fun putting up the tile while Mike did the measuring and cutting. We both grouted and rinsed (which was a total pain with the tight quarters and multi-dimensional tile). It took us 3 days to complete and we're so pleased with the results. 

Now the kitchen is almost complete. We just have the grid of ceiling panels to take down so that we can install recessed lighting and some pendants over the island. Maybe another day...I'm all tuckered out!

No comments: