Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kids say the funniest things! Right?

Everyday, I have a little chuckle to myself when I hear one of the girls pronounce something in their own special little way, such as Tara calling napkins "Nam-Queue-ms". Just say it all together-it's cute! And I love the way Lauren calls her little stuffed lamb (that she takes with her EVERYWHERE) "My Lamb-y", pronounced, "Miami". Adorable.

How about when they say a new phrase that makes you stop and think, "Wow, where did she learn that?". As in Lauren telling me, "No problem, Mom. It's a piece-of-cake!" and me asking her if she knew what that meant. Her response? "Mom, it means "It's easy!" What?! How do they know these things? Why do they have to grow up so fast? What else are they learning?!!!!!

Some of it is just great...walking into our favorite Chinese restaurant and having Tara say to our waitress, "ni-hao". Or, at another favorite eating establishment, having the waiter ask Lauren what she would like to have, and hearing her say politely, "I'd like a chicken and cheese Quesadilla, please!". Just warms my heart!

On the flip side, not everything they are learning is for the better and it really tests your parenting skills when a toddler faux pas is said in a very public place or in listening range of unsuspecting victims. For example, our daughter Tara asking me, "Why doesn't that girl brush her teeth?" while walking past a woman with obvious dental hygiene concerns. Or, Lauren asking, "Is that Grandma having a baby?" when a older woman was carrying a little extra weight around the ol' midsection. Uhhhhhh.... What do you do? How do you handle an episode like that?
I usually just try to steer them away from the situation, explain to them that it isn't polite to talk about other people, and pray that it never happens again!

Ahhhh, kids. What can you do? Just love 'em I guess!

No comments: