Sunday, August 17, 2008

Life Lessons

I have learned a lot of things about myself this year. Some good...some...not so much. But it's in the learning that we grow as people. We learn from our mistakes (hopefully), we rally around our successes and we draw strength from ourselves when we need it most.

One of the life lessons that I have learned this year is that it's hard to ask for help. AND, it's equally as hard to know how to give it. I'm sure many of you can relate and have found a way to do these things without dreading the thought of making someone feel uncomfortable, putting undue burden upon them or worrying that it's not enough. I just haven't gotten to that point yet.

However, I am going to do it, no matter how uneasy I feel doing it. I'm asking for your help.

With my husband (Mike) in California most of the month, I'm on my own with the girls. I didn't think it would be easy, the Lord knows others have it much worse than me, but I still find myself looking for an excuse to go out because it's lonely when you have no one in the house during the day or at night to talk to.

-Add: Another phobia that I forgot in the last post-I have a very real fear of making phone calls. No, I'm not joking and it has nothing to do with being lazy. I just can't do it, at least not easily. So, when you say, "Just call me!", I think to myself, "Oh no!". Thank goodness for e-mail!

I'm also still recovering from Guillain-Barré Syndrome. I just can't do all the things that I once could only 6 months ago. Sure, most of them are trivial, but when your backup isn't around, you feel lost. I just can't water the plants that are above eye level, my arms won't support the weight of the watering can. I can't just get down on the ground and play with the girls. It's almost impossible to stand back up. And I'm so fatigued by the end of the day....
Don't get me wrong! It's getting better, so much better. But, it's not easy.

Anyway, I just want to ask anyone who's reading, who's willing to lend a hand, to help me by doing one or more of the following things:
  • Send me a note or drop me a line every once-in-awhile. It helps. And if I don't respond right away, just know that I appreciate it and I will get back with you!!!
  • If you wouldn't mind having 3 extra girls join you for lunch or dinner some night, we would love to come along and see you and help in any way that we can.
  • If you just want to hang out or want someone to talk to, think of me. I'll be a good listener.
  • If you're in our neck of the woods and want to take a break, stop in and see us. Our home may be littered with toys but I can find a clean seat for you to relax in!
To those of you, and you know who you are, who have invited us to dinner, to the park, to hang out, to go Geocaching, etc. I really want to say "Thank You". You've helped me out tremendously, even if you don't think so.

I wanted to end with another life lesson that I learned this year. Friends and family are a blessing unlike any other and without them, I would not be me, and I like being me! So, to all my "blessings", YOU ROCK!!!!!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Good for you for speaking up. It is hard, I know. Especially for us competent women--but that doesn't mean we can do it ALL, all the time!

Alas, we're a bit far away for a dinner date. But we have our bloggy connection now!