Monday, May 18, 2009

Yes, Doctor?

Time for a little health update, for those who are following it or care. I think that I will start with the recovery from Guillain-Barré (GBS) and let you know that everything is going very well. I have function back in every part of my body, and my strength seems to increase daily. The only area that I have noticeable trouble with are my arms and hands. It's very difficult for me to open things or lift any heavy loads. There is no pain, only a pronounced weakness. Fatigue is also a problem but it's manageable.

I saw the Hematologist on Friday and I was really hoping that she would take me off the blood thinners, once and for all. No such luck. Although I still may have some small blood clots or P.E.'s remaining in my lungs, she isn't that concerned about them causing any additional problems. However, she is making me stay on them until at least September, and here is why...

I have been having considerable amounts of pain in my skin/muscle tissue, especially in my upper arms, neck/shoulders, and lower legs. There is no pain associated with their movement, like arthritis or a pulled muscle. Touch and pressure are my problems. Just a small finger poke in the arm feels like someone punched me really hard. It sucks. Some days are better than others, and some days are terrible. Just having the girls sit on my lap can hurt. So, my GP sent me in to have some tests done (yippee) and low-and-behold, 3 tests came back positive.
  1. SED Rate was high, which a test that measures inflammation in the body. 20 mm/h and under is allowable or normal for women under 55. Mine was 45. Twice.
  2. ANACHOICE-Titer also came back positive. Twice. This is a test that they use to test for things like Lupus. Uh-oh...
  3. Vitamin D levels were almost non-existent. Not good, either. Dr. said that they were the second lowest he has ever seen...
So, now I get to have even more extensive tests done and have super fun times with a Rheumatologist. I mean, for Pete's sake, what the heck is going on? I was FINE!!!! Now, since last February, everything seems up-side-down. On the positive side, my spirits are good, my weight continues to drop and I'm getting out more often. Mike has been very supportive, given all the drama that I've caused in the past 15 months. Hopefully, this new issue is nothing major, maybe just my body telling me to get off the blood thinners, and I can move on without any further major health concerns. Hopefully... :)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thanks for the update. We'll pray this can all pass quickly. I know the tests and waiting are awful. Keep us posted...

Wendy