Thursday, January 7, 2010

Remembering....

The article below is featured in today's Grand Rapids Press. It marks the 25th anniversary of the death of my Aunt Marilyn, Aunt Joann, cousin Hans and 2 others. My cousin, Rhiannon, was the sole survivor. My Aunt Mary and my Mom are the two sisters featured in the piece, along with my cousin.

It's one of those moments in your life where you realize, not everyone is good. Some things don't get better and some things can't be fixed. I remember this day fairly well-I was only 7 (almost 8). But what I remember more than that was the profound sadness...the shadow it cast on our big, happy, loving family. You never "get over" something like this. It stays with you, deep in your heart, a missing piece that always reminds you to hold tight to those precious people and moments in your life. It makes the importance of family even more so and teaches us that as easy as it is to hate, it's in the forgiving that we grow and eventually find peace.

Thinking of you....

No comments: