Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Resolutions

Personally, I never make "New Year's" resolutions. They seem so absolute and if I don't make it happen within those 365 days, what then? I'm a total failure, that's what. And what is the point of that? I am continuing my tradition of making no resolutions for the coming year. Is it to make things easier on myself? So that I don't set myself up for failure? So that I won't have to try to top whatever I accomplished this year? No. I think it's because I realized a long time ago that no matter what I wanted to "change", whether I accomplished my goal or not, it wasn't what made me happy.

Each year, millions of folks all across this great world of ours, make a pact with themselves to try to do something better. Many want to lose weight, spend less, exercise more, find a mate. And I wonder to myself, "Is this really the way to go? Are we all lacking in some way, just trying to get one more "thing" right about ourselves? Can we be perfect at some point?". I think not.

As humans, why are we so hard on ourselves? Survival of the fittest? I am trapped by the notion that we continually perpetuate the problem of seemingly never having enough. It's depressing and it's no wonder so many of us walk around in a total haze. If we allow ourselves to focus on that which we lack, we will always be left wanting. More money, more friends, a bigger house, a smaller waist, designer clothes, a newer car, buff abs, more respect, better job, more time, etc., etc., etc......

Is this how we're supposed to live? Always less than? A little symbol (<) following us around for the rest of our lives...

Instead of wanting something to be different or better, I want to just be me.  It doesn't take more money or a trip to the gym, more friends won't help (although I'll always take them!) or better clothes...all it takes is a look in the mirror every morning, and hey, there I am! I'm not perfect, no one is. Those that "have it all" never do. So if you're reading this, and you made a New Year's Resolution, I wonder if it will make you happy? Will you be complete or perfect? Will it finally make you, you? If not, then go take a look in the mirror, smile, and be so incredibly happy that you're here, that you have, and that you are. I know I am. :)




Me and my friend, Tim!

No comments: