Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday

Do you ever wake up in the morning with a mental list of items that you really want to get completed for the day?

I usually have the "Have-To" list nagging at me first... you know, the things that you absolutely must get done before you go to bed at night. The items that if you don't attend to them, your kids won't have to change into their jammies at night because they'd still be in them. Important stuff like laundry, dishes, trash, school, baths, food, etc.

The "Extra-Effort Required" list comes next, containing piles of miscellaneous to-do's that you really would "like" to complete, but since they're not the top priority, you know they probably won't. In my house, these items tend to involve sorting photos, re-arranging the closets, mopping floors and finally putting the Christmas decorations (the sneaky ones that didn't make it in their appropriate boxes) and Easter eggs (plastic, of course) away.

Last is the "In-My-Wildest-Dreams" list. These are the goals that if you were to complete them, you wouldn't need those anti-depressants because you'd be on such a natural high. Usually large-scale projects that involve many hours and many dollars, these items are the ones that I actually think about the most. Fixing our front porch, re-facing the house, landscaping, adding a second garage, building a back deck, gutting our main bathroom upstairs and other grandiose ideas permeate my mind, day in and day out. I'm actually close to completing one right now, our study/office, and I have to say that I'm feeling pretty fine about it!

In reality though, most days, and especially Mondays, I don't even get through the "Have-To" list. It's sad, and I don't even work outside my house! Oh well, there's nothing wrong with spending a few days in your jammies, right kids?

No comments: