Sunday, March 15, 2009

New Muscles

That's what I feel like I have! I am so sore from working at the new house all this weekend that I can hardly move right now! I know that all this muscle usage is good therapy for my weakened system but I think I'm going a bit overboard....oh well.

I can honestly say that I have learned a lot of information about our new house in the past few days. First, it's really big, which is good and bad. Good, because we have a lot of room to grow and bad, because of all the extra work that entails. We also learned that we had a burst water pipe in our main floor laundry room when Mike turned on the water to the house for the first time and a waterfall starting gushing from the ceiling. Neat.

We also learned today that the majority of the ceilings in the house were on the verge of collapse. It's not as bad as it sounds. When the house was built, they put up one layer of drywall and screwed it into the joists. Then, to meet fire code, they added another layer of drywall, which also helped with sound deadening. However, this second layer was merely glued on top of the existing surface and finished at the joints. This normally doesn't pose a problem but with the home being empty for 2 years, the temps would have reached 100 in the Summer months and below 0 in the Winter. The glue just was not made to withstand that type of temperature fluctuation and ultimately failed. So, we have been successful in saving all the ceilings so far by finding all the studs and re-screwing the lower level of drywall to re-secure the surface. It's a lot of extra work that we weren't prepared for but we seem to have it under control and with all the awesome help that we had this weekend, we are still ahead of the game....I think...

Wish that I could write more but my body and brain really hurt right now. I'm even having trouble typing and that's not good! I'm going to try to post pics of our progress as we move through all the steps before move-in day. Stay tuned!

P.S. A big THANK YOU to Deane, Jim , Jeanne, Katie, Shawn, Shaun and Dad who did such an awesome job helping us with the new digs! We couldn't have done it without you!

1 comment:

PolkaDotGaloshes said...

Congrats on moving in!!! Hope you enjoy your new place and fill it with wonderful memories =)
Hugs, The Rules...xx